Saturday, January 17, 2009

My reading goal is to remain calm

Because I'm such a winner (well, also because it was in the single digits outside and I didn't feel like leaving my apartment for the evening), I spent most of Friday evening rephrasing my students' goals into kid-friendly language. Their goals are lifted right from the state standards, but it's not like I can expect my second graders to walk around saying, "My goal is to check the accuracy of my decoding using the context to monitor and self-correct." So this is what I've come up with to "translate" their goals:

Check accuracy of decoding using context to monitor and self-correct.
My reading goal is to sound out tricky words and then ask myself: Does that sound right? Does that make sense?

Blend sounds using knowledge of letter-sound correspondences in order to decode unfamiliar, but decodable, one-syllable grade-level words.
My reading goal is to use what I know in Fundations to help me sound out tricky words.
My reading goal is to practice reading tricky words by looking for chunks of letters I already know.

Increase background knowledge by elaborating and integrating new vocabulary and ideas from texts.
My reading goal is to use words from the story to help me talk about my books.

Answer simple questions (like how? why? what if?) in response to texts.
My reading goal is to practice answering questions about my book, like: How did that happen? Why did that happen?

Use comprehension strategies (such as predict/confirm, reread, self-correct) to clarify meaning of text.
My reading goal is to read my books over to make sure I understand the story.
My reading goal is to stop and make a prediction about what will happen next and then read on to find out if I am right.
My reading goal is to listen to myself read the story to make sure all the words sound right.

My tentative plan is to print all these goals out on big labels that I can stick right on their book baggies. Of course, all the kids break their book baggies by swinging them around, so I was considering getting them all new, durable book baggies (and by "book baggie" I mean they cram all their books into a flimsy Ziploc bag, so I was going to buy durable Ziploc bags, and between those and the labels I am looking at spending a fortune of my own money, since the copier at school is still broken and I have been using my own paper and ink to print and make copies at home on my own time, thank you very much Department of Education).

I'm still on the hunt for high-interest/low-readability books. Most of the ones I've found online are for upper elementary or middle schoolers reading at a second or third grade level, but I'm looking for late first grade or early second grade readability. If I can find good ones, I'm going to look into doing a Donors Choose grant, so please send any suggestions my way!

3 comments:

Nacho Lover said...

that is fantastic! you should make a whole library of these kid-friendly goals, and then you might share them with others. your kids will love these.

Anonymous said...

I love the goals in "kid-language!" I'd like to do this with my state learning standards, too, so the kids understand why we're doing what we do.

Anonymous said...

This is a great way to make it clear to the children why they are doing what they are doing. Well Done. Seems as though the goals are the same all over the world Thanks Maria Australia