Sunday, November 18, 2007

Wanna be on top?

Thanks to my new DVR, I've been overdosing on marathons of America's Next Top Model lately, and today I had a bizarre thought: What if teaching were a reality show? And every week, teachers competed to see who could teach the most compelling, engaging, enriching lesson? And the teachers had bitchfights over things like whether to go with Teaching With Love and Logic or the assertive discipline approach? And they were coached by surprise celebrity guests like Harry Wong and Rafe Esquith? And every week someone got voted off by a panel of judges like Jonathan Kozol and Deborah Meier? And in the end the winner was crowned America's Next Top Educator and rose to fame throughout the nation?

4 comments:

ms. v. said...

I've always thought something along the lines of "Survivor" was already going on in our schools... your idea sounds more fun!

dorkyteacher said...

I LOVE the idea. Where do I submit my audition tape?

Found your blog through a friend of a friend of a friend. Teach on! :)

Nacho Lover said...

oh, this is awesome!!
I'm going to quote you on my site to help spread the idea, if you don't mind. :)

Anonymous said...

I sometimes feel like I am in a candid camera show while I am in the classroom. I love your idea. I also think that maybe we should put Mayor Bloomberg and Joel Klein up to the challenge and video tape THEM for a day in one of NYC's finest inner-city classrooms! I believe that if someone is going to talk "budget" and make rules and regulations than they should see what we see each day in the classroom.