Tuesday, January 1, 2008

We'll drink a cup of kindness yet

It's the night before the first day of school in 2008, and I'm irrationally worried that it's going to feel like the first day of school all over again.

Maybe if I hadn't had the best winter vacation in the whole world, it wouldn't be so hard to go back. But as it is, teaching feels like a dream: Did I really do that last year?

I left before the break feeling unexpectedly fond of my job, and now I find myself (not so unexpectedly) dreading my return.

I don't know if it's my position, my school, my colleagues or the profession altogether...but next year, something's going to have to change.

2 comments:

ms. v. said...

well, you might be right about change... but keep in mind also that absolute horrified dread is pretty much completely normal for the day before school resumes after a vacation. trust me. in fact, I'm procrastinating now precisely because I'm too anxious to get anything useful done. and it's been 8 years. *sigh*

Nacho Lover said...

So glad you had a wonderful break! And it's only my fourth year, but I too hate returning to school after a vacation. :( But if you were fond of your job in DECEMBER!, that says great things about the rest of the year for you! Happy new year!